- Are you looking for a specialized program which emphasizes a degree/career in the world of finance?
- Are you looking for the opportunity to work with faculty and students who share your same interests and goals?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to be a member of a highly respected national network of educators, students and national/international businesses?
- Are you looking for scholarship and career opportunities?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to be a member of a national student organization?
If you answered “yes” to these questions, then you are looking for the Academy of Finance at Lake Brantley High School. The Academy of Finance connects high school students with the world of financial services and personal finance and offers a curriculum that covers banking and credit financial planning, global finance, securities, insurance, accounting, and economics. The Academy of Finance is a member of the National Academy Foundation. The Foundation has a list of over sixty corporate sponsors which include Coca Cola, Macy’s, Bloomberg, Cisco, Capital One, and Bank of America which support the programs of the National Academy Foundation.
Academy of Finance students have the opportunity to earn Florida Ready to Work Credentials, EverFi Financial Literacy Certification, and industry certification in MOS and QuickBooks. Students participate in the Dave Ramsey Financial Literacy Program. They participate in InVEST, founded in 1970, as a grassroots program that teams educators with representatives from the insurance industry to provide insurance instruction, exposure to an insurance environment, and career opportunities to students. Invest awards thousands of dollars in scholarships each year. Students may also earn scholarships from the Orange/Seminole National Academy Foundation Advisory Board.
Students enrolled in the Academy may apply to work as tellers in the Brantley Branch of Addition Financial. Students receive one elective credit. This is one of many financial institution on a high school campus in Seminole County.
Business Professionals of America, a co-curricular national student organization. It offers students the opportunity to compete in business related competitions at the regional state and national levels. The program also encourages students to take on leadership roles at all levels of the organization.
Lake Brantley’s Academy of Finance has been designated as a Seminole County Program of Emphasis. This offers freshmen from any school in the district the opportunity to enroll in the program. The course sequence is as follows:
- Freshman Computing for College and Career
- Sophomore Finance and Business Technology
- Junior Financial Accounting
What Is The Academy Of Finance?
The Academy of Finance was created in 1994 as a result of Lake Brantley High School’s commitment to expanding relevant educational opportunities. The program offers a unique experience for students to focus on the financial industry.
In addition to coursework, students will participate in an internship in the financial services industry. Businesses such as banks, credit unions, investment firms, CPA firms, law and medical offices are but a few of the business partners that have employed our students.
National Academy Foundation
The Lake Brantley Academy of Finance is a member of the National Academy Foundation (NAF), a non-profit educational organization. It was created in 1989 to reach out to students in response to growing interest from the private sector to educate today’s high school students about career opportunities in the financial industry.
An on-campus student-run business operation allows Academy students a forum in which to share in the management and daily operations of a business and to maintain accurate records of its progress. The for-profit business provides partial funding for:
- Participation in national and state stock market simulations
- Annual student finance conferences
- Participation in InVEST, a national insurance scholarship program
- The cost of field trips to financial businesses for students to gain first-hand knowledge of these businesses in action
The profit from this business also provides partial funding for “The Senior Trip.” Following completion of the program of study, seniors visit New York City, the “Financial Capital of the World.”
Curriculum Road Map
The Academy of Finance curriculum includes four courses emphasizing finance and business technology,a ccounting, economics, personal financial planning, and financial internship. The curriculum component is required of all students in the Academy and develops the business skills necessary to flourish in the financial industry.
- Freshman: register for Computers for College and Careers
- Sophomore: Finance and Business Technology
- Junior: Financial Accounting (Honors Credit)
- Summer Financial Internship
- Senior: Personal Financial Planning (Honors Credit)
- Finance and Business Technology
- Accounting Applications I (Honors Credit)
- Advanced Placement Economics
- Personal Financial Planning (Honors Credit)